|Over a hundred years of a family case history
From 1897 to post second world-war
In 1897 Caldirola was a simple osteria in Contra, a small hamlet in the Comune of Missaglia where the current Casa Vinicola Caldirola headquarter is based today. It was here that Ferdinando Caldirola's story, which would link three generations of his family to the tables of the Italian populace, had its beginning.
During the 1940s, Ferdinando, together with his son Gaetano, transformed the osteria, at that time a popular meeting point for the locals, into a more structured sales point. He even branched out into the sale of cured meats, a business that would require the involvement of all the family members.
At the beginning, the business was small. However, slowly the wine-trade started to become more significant, to eventually establish itself as the main commercial activity of a company that had begun selling wine fifty years ago.
||Not only Barbera
Wine is a much-loved product that incites relaxation and warms the atmosphere at the table. During the 1960s, Gaetano Caldirola explores the best vineyards of the Piedmont region: barbera, nebbiolo and moscato as a starting point. He subsequently hires seven more people to help him bottle the wines. At the time, the apparatus used was manual and there was only a single truck that transported the wine from the railway station to Missaglia.
The small company was successful and the osterie of the area appreciated the design of the bottles in which the wine was kept and sold. The bottles did not yet feature any labels, simply different coloured bottle tops in order to distinguish the various vineyards. The glass was embossed with the words "Caldirola wines". The smaller bottles, those holding a quarter litre, attracted a new kind of customer and staff canteens begin to feature them as a beverage choice. Over the following decade, the following names gain importance: Innocenti, Alfa, Bianchi, Falk, Pirelli, Vismara...